Thursday 14 April 2011

Written Evaluation: How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

New media technologies are an integral part of any contemporary music video production.

Research

The internet was my main source of information when it came to researching each aspect of music video production, as well as album digi-packs and professional artist websites.

Youtube.com was my main source to the access of any professional music video. I was able to search any music video, as nearly all music videos ever made are featured on the site, and view the, quickly and easily.
This made it very easy to research forms and conventions for each genre, as well as detailed research into my chosen genre.

Researching into new filming techniques, such as the video produced by Doritos for Professor Green's video 'Coming to Get Me' which allows the viewer to interact and direct a 360 degree camera. As well as this being a new and unique way to consume a music video, it was also a great advertising stunt. The internet also allowed me to look into how artists promote themselves, using social networking sites and websites for example. This allowed me to understand the importance of promotion and gave me the idea to create a Facebook page for my artist.

Interviews on youtube.com allowed me to get a more in depth knowledge and understanding of the music industry and music video productions.
The internet also allows easy research into the designs of the majority of album digi-packs. This made it easy to find the vital features that needed to be included on my own digi-pack as well as understanding the typical designs, effects and overall look of the digi-packs made for the same genre and female artists.

Researching Photoshop techniques allowed me to learn new skills that I could apply to my album digi-pack and ensure it looked as professional as possible and fit into the forms and conventions of the designs of the particular R’n’B genre. Youtube.com was another large source into the research of techniques as many online tutorials can be found. Finding website builders that allowed me to create a professional looking website for my artist, allowed me to choose a suitable builder that would accommodate to my designs and the features I wished to include.

The internet also allowed me to research the functions of windows Movie Maker, from effects, to cutting techniques so I was able to plan my video understanding the effects I could use, for example black and white.
The internet was a major source in the research aspect of my production process and has contributed to the success of both my music video and ancillary products.

Planning/creating

Movie maker – Editing software are increasingly being produced/developed as well as becoming very accessible to allow amateurs to edit their own videos effectively and easily. I used windows movie maker to edit my music video and I was able to apply a range of effectives, produce quick and smooth cuts as well as applying features such as slow motion. The software also allowed me to eliminate the diegetic sound and add non-diegetic sound (music track), all these features allowed me to produce a professional looking music video fairly quickly and easily.

Photoshop – Photoshop is a photo editing software with a large range of features that allow you to edit images any way you want. This allowed me to create professional looking album digi-pack with all the vital features, from bar codes to the track list and music label symbols.

Weebly.com – Weebly.com was the website builder I decided to use to create my artist website. This allowed me to add are the common features of artist/band websites, from an image gallery, log-in area and live Facebook feed. Due to the developed software I was able to create a professional looking fully functioning website for free, with a good variety of features.

EvaluationHaving a range of media technologies allowed me to distribute and gather audience feedback easily for evaluation.

Youtube.com – Youtube allowed me to distribute my music video easily to millions of people all over the world, this ensured my music video hit my target audience as well as reaching to other people who may not initially listen/watch that particular genre. Youtube has also been developed to give me stats on the upload, from the number of views, and how they have viewed it, from either facebook, typing in the search bar or watching it from being suggested. It also gives you the audience that your video is most popular with, mine being: Male aged 13 – 17, which is a good section of my niche target audience.




Youtube also allows anyone to post and comment to your video, which has allowed me to gather some opinions and feedback to help me evaluate whether I achieved my objective and hit my target audience.



Facebook – Facebook allows you to post the video/link from Youtube onto your Facebook account that your friends can view. Facebook is aimed at students, which was perfect for hitting my target audience, and gather comments and feedback from my exact target audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment