Friday 15 April 2011

Written Evaluation: What have you learned from your audience feedback?

After analysing my audience feedback (Featured on the Audience Feedback Post), I feel I understand my strengths and weaknesses of my music video as well as areas I could improve and my overall achievement.

Example from the feedback from youtube.com;

This looks amazingly professional, the composition of the shots is always strong and interesting. I liked the contrast between light and dark. I would have liked some quicker cuts? Unmistakable genre.’

My aim was to create interesting composition and I feel I achieved this. My lighting in the holding cell was there to represent, light – innocence, dark – the darkness of domestic violence (described in my directors cut) and the fact she picked up on the contrast means my aim had come through strongly.

Quicker shots is something I would like to do if I produce another music video, as I am now comfortable with the software, however I am still happy with the speed of them now, but to push my product further I feel it could be improved in that sense. ‘Unmistakable genre’ – I am pleased that she feels it fits the forms and conventions of the genre and finds it similar to other music videos as my aim was to create my music video with strong genre characteristics.

Another example of feedback from youtube.com; (Screenshots on audience feedback post)

‘great - love the shots of her in the headlights. your lighting in the cells is really good and appropriate for the character in the video’

I wanted to light the outside shots realistically, with headlights. I feel it made an interesting lighting source as the main focus was lower on the shots almost disguising the characters face, as stereotypical gangsta like to almost hide their identities. I’m glad she comments on this as I feel I achieved a creative light source. Other people I have spoken to, along with comments from my Facebook account also mention the lighting of the outside shots, so I feel this part of my music video was a success.

Comments from my youtube account tended to be other media studies students that could comment on the more technical aspects of the product and the meaning, whereas my Facebook account reached my target audience that doesn’t fully understand the production of music videos, like the majority of people watching professional music videos.

I received many comments such as ‘this is so good’, ‘impressive’, ‘this is amazing etc’ but the more detailed comments are below.

Examples of my Facebook feedback; (Screenshots on audience feedback post)

‘Wow, this has really worked, love the outside scenes in the dark, and with the car headlights, think that works really well’

Again I am glad I received another positive comment about the outside scenes as these were the trickiest to film due to having no electricity supply for artificial lighting.

However talking to a media student made light of the fact they could have done with being a little lighter. I agree with this, that if I was a professional company I would have made the lighting a little brighter however due to have limited equipment and budget I feel the shots came out better than expected and really worked.

Another comment was again positive and also said ‘this could be a real music video’. I feel that I have achieved more than I had hoped for, as my target audience appeared to really enjoy the product and saw it as professional and exciting. The comments on the lighting, especially the light and dark of the holding cell, have confirmed that, that particular scene had worked to my intentions and the light and dark contrast was obvious.

Talking to people are they are watching the video allowed me to understand the shots they liked and thought worked. Many people really liked the shots of the CCTV screen where you can see the character in her cell, I was told it was ‘creative and effective’.

Another popular comment was that the editing of the product was done really well, with the lip sync being bang on time. I am pleased they commented on this, as I thought receiving perfect lip sync was the hardest part of the editing process.

I was also told, by a female aged 42 - that she felt very connected to the character and engaged by her as she looked down the camera and it appeared she was talking to you inparticular.
I feel this is a great comment as I wanted females to feel connected and that my artist was talking to them as this helps to put accross the meaning of the lyrics. (the artists recruiting females to stand up and speak out against domestic violence)
This also has confirmed that my music video conforms to the point of 'looking' in Goodwins theory.

Overall I received very positive feedback from everyone I spoke to, with only minor constructive criticism. If I were to do this project again, with a larger budget, I would perhaps make the lighting on the outside shots a little lighter so everyone can see exactly what is going in, but still keep the effect of the headlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment